In human society and its environment (HSIE), both subjects of history and geography are mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10.
Students learn specific historical and geographical concepts and skills in history and geography. They also have an opportunity to learn more about people and the societies and environments in which they live through elective subjects in Years 7 to 10 (Stages 4 to 5).
A large number of individual subjects make up the key learning area of HSIE in which students:
- research, gather and analyse information
- question and make judgements
- write for a variety of purposes.
In Year 11 and 12, students can choose from a range of HSIE courses. These include:
- Aboriginal Studies
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- History Extension
- Legal Studies
- Modern History
- Society and Culture
- Studies of Religion.
HSIE Subject Offerings
Illawarra Sports High School HSIE faculty offers a wide range of subjects to cater to many interests and abilities.
Year 7-10 students are required to complete Australian Geography and Australian History. They may also choose Commerce in Year 9-10. These subjects contribute to each students Record of School Achievement (ROSA) Certificate.
Year 11-12 are offered a range of subjects.
- Ancient History, Business Studies, Economics, Geography, Legal Studies, Modern History and Society and Culture and are Board of Studies Endorsed Course (BEC), which will contribute to each students ATAR, a ranking for University admission, as well as the Higher School Certificate (HSC).
- Marine Studies is a Board of Studies Content Endorsed Course (CEC) which contributes to each students Higher School Certificate. It does not count towards an ATAR.
- Business Services (VET) is a practical competency based course which contributes to a students Higher School Certificate. It can contribute to an ATAR, if the student chooses to sit the Business Services HSC examination. It will also grain a student a TAFE Certificate II in Business Services.